Hastha Mudras, which are hand gestures associated with various health benefits, have been a part of ancient yogic practices. One of these practices, called Shakti Mudra or Shakti Chalana Mudra, is believed to increase inner strength and power. It is said that the power of Goddess Durga, known for her strength and fierceness, is symbolically represented by this mudra.
Today’s life is surrounded by a lot of stress and tensions. There can be numerous reasons for this stress. It can be your work-related issues, peer pressure, personal relationship complications, etc. All this takes a really heavy toll on our regular life.
Our state of health and well-being is badly affected. As a result, there are severe health complications in long run. But that is much later in future. Do you know what happens in the short run? You start getting trapped in sleeplessness (Insomnia). You are just left with tossing sides on the bed. And trust me girls there is nothing more painful than not being able to sleep in the night? So, what to do in that situation?
What is Shakti Mudra Meaning, Steps And Benefits:
Shakti means power, and Mudra means gesture, as the name suggests. Practising Shakti Mudra makes your body energetic by strengthening your immune system and making your nerves work properly. Let us go through this article to learn how Shakti Mudra helps your body efficiently. Read on!
How to Do Shakti Mudra:
Here are some simple steps you can follow to perform Shakti Mudra efficiently, thereby reaping all the benefits:
- Sit down in a comfortable seating posture like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Vajrasana, Swastikasana, etc.
- Keep your hands on your knees or thighs with your palm facing upwards.
- Make yourself aware of the breathing process while taking deep breaths with closed eyes.
- Now press your thumb with the index and middle finger while the thumb is touching the palm.
- Make sure you keep your little finger and ring finger as straight as possible.
- Place both your hands near your chest.
- Now make sure the ring finger and little finger of both the hands touch each other.
- Make sure all the other fingers are folded and the knuckles touch each other.
- You can chant any mantra or OM to increase concentration.
- Keep in mind that you must practise this Mudra on both hands simultaneously.
- Make sure your breaths are steady and equal.
Some Additional Tips for Practicing Shakti Mudra Include:
- Maintain a relaxed and upright posture with the spine straight and shoulders relaxed.
- Breathe deeply and slowly, focusing on the sensation of the breath moving in and out of the body.
Visualize the flow of energy, or prana, in the body as you hold the mudra.
- Practice for several minutes, gradually increasing the duration over time.
- It can be helpful to set an intention or focus for your practice, such as cultivating inner strength, vitality, or balance.
- If you experience any discomfort or pain, adjust your hand position or release the mudra and return to normal breathing.
Tips to Perform Shakti Mudra:
Anyone can perform Shakti Mudra efficiently. But here are some tips that will help you practice this Mudra more efficiently, resulting in more beneficial effects.
- Make sure to put gentle pressure on your fingers. You will not be able to perform Shakti Mudra for long if you apply too much pressure on your fingers.
- If you wish to have better concentration, it is best to wear comfortable and light clothes.
- Make sure to remove any heavy jewellery on your body to keep your body free during the whole process.
- Avoid TV, radio or mobile, which might act as a distraction.
- Practice the Shakti Mudra in a calm and quiet place for more concentration.
- Performing this Mudra in excess might make you feel sluggish and lethargic. Therefore make sure you practice it in moderation.
How Long Do you Hold Shakti Mudra?
To have a calming, soothing and activating body, you can perform Shakti Mudra or any Mudra for at least two minutes. It is best to start with less time initially. Then you either practice the Shakti Mudra for 10 to 12 minutes throughout the day or 30 minutes at a stretch.
Best Time to Practice Shakti Mudra?
To ensure maximum effectiveness, it is advisable to practice Shakti Mudra in the early morning hours. Nevertheless, this Mudra can be performed at any time of the day, and it can be executed while sitting, lying down, standing, or even sitting on a chair. It is more beneficial to practice Shakti Mudra on an empty stomach, although it can also be performed after eating with a 45-60 minute interval.
Health Benefits of Shakti Mudra:
We have listed all the benefits associated with performing Shakti Mudra efficiently:
- The Shakti Mudra affects your lower chest area intensely.
- The Mudra activates your entire immune system, which helps keep your body healthy and fit.
- Shakti Mudra provides peace and stability by providing a calming effect on your mind and body.
- This Mudra is also helpful for people who suffer from sleeplessness by impacting sleeping patterns positively.
- Practising Shakti Mudra releases tension in the pelvis area, which further helps you deal with intestinal spasms, menstrual spasms and cramps.
- It helps calm the nervous system, thereby providing relief from psychological stress.
- Shakti Mudra’s practice helps rectify delayed micturition by positively affecting prostate glands.
- This Mudra is also a good option for people suffering from slipped discs and backaches by relieving physical exertion.
Stress, sleeplessness, and tensions are part and parcel of our lives, and they don’t come out of the blue. Shakti Mudra can help develop divine power within you to tackle stress-related issues efficiently. Therefore without further ado, add the Shakti Mudra to your daily routine and reap all the benefits associated with the gesture. Don’t forget to let us know if you found this article helpful!
Disclaimer: The content presented in this article is based on research and not a replacement for professional advice. Please consult a certified healthcare professional if you are unsure.
1. What is the Effect of Shakti Mudra on Chakras?
Ans: The Swadishtana Chakra, i.e. spleen or sacral chakra, is affected by practising Shakti Mudra. It also has a good impact on calming the pelvis region because it is considered a sensual or feminine gesture.
2. What is the Impact of Shakti Mudra on Doshas?
Ans: Shakti Mudra helps induce sound sleep, calm the mind, relieve stress, calm nerves, relieve the body’s trembling, and provide energy to the mind and body by balancing the prana vata, sadhaka pitta and tarpakaKapha axis.
3. What are the Side Effects of Shakti Mudra?
Ans: There are very little to no side effects while performing any mudras. But make sure you don’t apply too much pressure on the fingers because it might result in a restless mind.